This project is continued from Part 1.
The insulation is brushed away from the ceiling cutout for the new vent boot and air register.
Here’s the same view from inside the bedroom.
A 2×4 frame is made to mount the vent boot and register box. I used 3 inch wood screws to fasten the frame to the joists. Notice the vent boot at the left side of the photo to check the fit with the wood box frame.
The insulation jacked it pulled back to reveal the inner duct. The inner duct is slipped over the vent boot.
The inner duct is secured to register boot with metal foil tape for an air-tight seal.
The outer insulation jacket is pulled down and fastened with a large zip tie.
The register box is attached to the wood frame with 1/2 inch self-tapping sheet metal screws. The screws are attached from the insideas shown here.
The branch line is connected to the main ductwork with a starting collar. An outline is traced in the trunk rigid air duct and cut out with a utility knife. Here’s the starting collar and take-off hole in the main air duct are shown here.
The starting collar is placed into the rigid air duct as shown. Notice the rectangular “fingers” are inside the ductwork. The fingers are bent outward against the rigid air duct to hold the starting collar.
The starting collar fingers are folded out and the adapter sealed to the rigid ductwork with metal foil tape.
The inner duct is pulled over the duct adapter and fastened with two layers of metal foil tape as was done at the vent boot.
The outer insulation jacket is pulled over the duct adapter and zip tied in place. Notice the gentle bend in the flexible duct – it is very important to avoid kinks and pinches that will restrict the air flow.
This is the newly installed branch line into the attic above the bedroom.
The register is attached to the ceiling with the two screws provided with the unit.
I turned on the furnace and checked the air flow from the new register. I was pleased to have a strong air flow that matched the other ceiling register – which is expected since both branch lines are attached to the same central duct. My daughter reports her room is much warmer now.
The blown-in white insulation did a poor job of covering the attic above the bedroom. Months later, after I installed the Solatube Skylight, I put down two bags of Owens Corning R-30 insulation in 24inch by 48inch batts. Two bags of 88 square feet each covered the attic. Cost of each bag is about $65. The R-30 insulation is quite thick as you can see by the section in the center of the photo. This made a noticeable improvement in the comfort of the bedroom. The batts were laid over the white blown-in insulation.
Copyright © 2013 HandymanHowTo.com Reproduction strictly prohibited.