Burnaby Natural Gas Plug Overview – detailed photos, features, gas inlet & outlet connections and selection criteria. A gas plug is also called a “gas outlet box” and is used for hooking up natural gas appliances such as BBQ grills, patio heaters, fire pits and hot tubs.
Burnaby Natural Gas Plug Overview
The features of the Burnaby Gas Plug (gas outlet box) model G0101-SS-50-120DC are:
- Stainless steel surface mount outdoor enclosure.
Adjustable standoffs are included for mounting to uneven surfaces such as lap siding and stone.
- For low pressure (1/2 PSIG) propane and natural gas.
Other models are available for elevated pressure 2 PSIG gas.
- Temperature rated for -40 degree F (which happens to also be -40 deg C)
- 60,000 BTU natural gas and 90,000 BTU liquid propane.
- 3/8 inch Quick Disconnect socket for appliance hose connections (gas grill, patio heater, etc.)
- 1/2 inch NPT black iron pipe inlet for the house natural gas supply.
- 1/4 turn On/Off valve.
- Safety Features:
- The On/Off valve must be turned Off before the appliance gas hose can be disconnected.
- The internal thermal valve will automatically shutoff the gas if the temperature exceeds 300 degrees F to prevent fueling a fire.
The Burnaby Natural Gas Plug box (refer to the above photo) contains:
- Adjustable standoffs for mounting on uneven surfaces (siding, stone, etc.)
- Stainless steel outdoor box
- Gas valve assembly (U shaped tube)
- 3/8 inch male plug for the appliance hose connection
(I suspect most homeowners won’t need this part because the gas hose will already have the fitting.)
- Installation Instructions
The stainless steel box will never rust and protects the gas valve assembly from the weather:
Burnaby Gas Plug Pipe & Hose Connections
The valve assembly is shipped with a 3/8 inch male plug installed in the Quick Disconnect socket. If you’re using a gas hose with connection fittings installed on both ends you won’t need the male plug. Take care to remove the male plug after the gas block is installed, otherwise if you turn On the valve gas will flow out the open plug!
The valve 1/2 inch NPT inlet and 3/8 inch Quick Disconnect socket (gas outlet):
End view of the valve inlet and outlet:
The valve connects to standard 1/2 inch Schedule 40 black iron pipe for the house natural gas supply. 1/2 inch black iron pipe and fittings are widely available at home improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) in pre-threaded lengths up to 10 feet long. Many stores can cut and thread pipe to customer-specified odd lengths at no extra charge so you can run your pipe to exactly where it needs to be.
Choosing a Burnaby Gas Plug Model
Burnaby Mfg makes over 20 different models of gas plugs (a.k.a. “gas outlet”) and it can be daunting figuring out which one is right for your application. The gas plug selection process I used is:
- Gas pressure rating: 1/2 or 2 PSIG?
My natural gas utility delivers 1/2 PSIG gas to my home.
- Gas supply pipe connection size? 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 inch NPT inlet sizes are available.
The existing natural gas branch line that I’ll be moving is 1/2 inch NPT black iron pipe.
- Quick Disconnect outlet size? 3/8 and 1/2 inch are available.
My BBQ grill and gas hose has 3/8 inch fittings.
- One or two appliance outlets?
Certain models have two Quick Disconnect outlets to hook up two appliances; for example a BBQ grill and a patio heater at the same time. I needed only one outlet.
- Bottom or rear supply pipe inlet position?
A bottom inlet model has a 90 degree elbow on the valve inlet so the enclosure will conceal the supply pipe if it comes out of a wall. A bottom inlet position model as shown in the Installation Instructions will leave some or all of the gas pipe visible. In my case a bottom inlet model is needed.
- Recessed or surface mount enclosure?
A recessed box is installed flush with the surface of the wall and looks great! However, I needed a surface mount box.
- PVC or stainless steel enclosure?
PVC is a less expensive but I choose the stainless steel box because it looks nicer.
- Other options such as timers and high capacity 90000 / 138000 BTU models weren’t relevant for my BBQ grill application.
The above criteria led me to choose the model G0101-SS-50-120DC Burnaby gas plug, which has:
- 1/2 inch NTP bottom inlet
- 3/8 inch Quick Disconnect outlet
- Surface mount, stainless steel enclosure
This project is continued in How to Install a Burnaby Natural Gas Outlet.
Copyright © 2016 HandymanHowTo.com Reproduction strictly prohibited.